Tuesday 19 April 2011

What the F@#$ was I thinking? Or, how not to try running outside for the first time. Like, EVER.

So I had to go into work to get some stuff done on a project, so I thought, hey - I'll google the distance from the house to work! As it turns out, I live exactly 2.1 kilometres from the office. Which is 1.3 miles. Which I thought would be pretty easy pickin's since I've already done 1.5 on Tready in 23 minutes. Right? Riiiiight?

Cue the Three Stooges soundtrack. Or something else that sounds goofy. I get outside, throw on Run! The Rock Version and start walking. Gotta warm up, right? Well, I got a few blocks away, into the second song, and figured what the hell - I'll start running. Did I mention it was only about 2 degrees Celcius out there? For my American friends, that's about 34 degrees Farenheight Farenheit American. And I've never exerted myself under those conditions. Even tobogganing. That's what kids are for. ("Pull mommy up the hill, c'mon, you need to build your muscles for hockey! Mush! Mush!") But I'll tell you, I was running come hell or high water (wait, maybe I shouldn't say that around here) past KFC, because it was frickin' break time and the staff were ALL out front having their cigarettes. (Now there's an ad for why fried chicken and smoking are bad for you: "You will never escape from your crappy minimum wage job if you don't stop now!")

Where was I? Oh yes. I got a block past said poultry-pushers, and slowed to a stroll. Because I was panting like a sheepdog in July. And ready to black out. In downtown. Boy, did I think this through or what?

Well, at any rate, I made it to work in less than half an hour. And I didn't pass out. And I actually made some headway on that project. I guess we'll stick to Tready until it warms up at bit more.

2 comments:

  1. O Dear, Chris! You just pushed yourself too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know people left their warm cozy homes in such weather. ;-) But seriously...no way I could have run in that either. But that isn't really saying much...since I am just starting to run a mile without it killing me. :-P

    ReplyDelete