Saturday 16 April 2011

The reasons I run: Part I

I should probably tell you why run. There's a whole slew of them. There's the obviously whole "exercise is good for you thing," but let's face it, that could mean anything that gets your ass off the couch, no? So why running?

For a lazy non-athlete who really, really, REALLY enjoys my couch time, I've actually been surprisingly athletic over the years. I suck at sports, but I've done weightlifting. I took Pilates classes. I even spent one spring going to exercise bootcamp and lost some weight. But I never stick with them. These are all things that would require me to be organized - to be somewhere at a specific time, and keep going even if it bores me. I don't do bored well, so inevitably I end up failing. But running, now that's easy. Even if you don't have a plan, you can hop on a treadmill and run. If you can't afford a treadmill, you can throw on some running shoes and hit the road. Weather sucks? Run on the spot in your living room! Hell, let's face it, the video game industry has been getting people to do tons of that lately.

The other thing about running is although there are classes, training programs, videos, you name it, running is a basic function of the body. You put one foot in front of the other. Then you do it again. Then you keep doing it really really fast! Okay, I'm simplifying things, I realize, but it really can be that easy. And I noticed throughout day to day living, that if I had to be somewhere really fast, and I run, I love it. It made me feel good. So, I convinced Hubbs to let me blow money on a treadmill, and I've actually stuck with it. I "get" the concept of runner's high.

I've actually got other reasons too, but there's way too many to cover in one post. More to come later ;-)
(P.S. - I write my final exam in Auditing this afternoon. Then I get a five-month break from classes!)

1 comment: